Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Time To Move On

Well ladies, it’s the first Wednesday of the new year and I’ve been asking the Lord for His word for us for several days now.  For many people I know, the next few months will bring many changes.  Our beloved church called Restoration is coming to an end and something new will begin.  I’m sure I’m not the only one with a mixed-up swirl of emotions over this fact.  My husband and I came to this church as two-week-old newlyweds in 1989.  This place has been our spiritual home, our community, and the center point of our lives.  We have been so blessed to be part of this small portion of the Body of Christ.  This morning when I logged onto my Facebook, I saw a video link to a song by Dennis Jernigan posted by my wonderful cousin by marriage.  The song is called “Time To Move On”.  I’d like to share a few lines with you.      
It’s time to move on! 
Time to conquer that mountain.
 Time for crossing that ocean. 
Time for calming that sea.
It’s time to leave your past behind! 
It’s time to loose those chains that bind.
But if you never seek you will never ever find
All you’ve been hoping for
Right through that next open door
But you’ve got to move on.
Moving forward with the Lord always means leaving something behind.  Good or bad, we have to be willing to put the past in the Lord’s hands and keep moving forward with Him.  We can thank Him for all that was good.  Receive His healing for all that was painful.  But we can’t move forward until we let go of where we’ve been.  God is great and He is good.  He has a future for each one of us.  Jeremiah 29:11 assures us with these words.  “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
Abba, thank You for loving us always, and always being at work for the best in our lives.  Help us trust You with our memories and our tomorrows.  Give us grace to be brave because You go before us, preparing the way.   In Jesus’ Name, Amen. 
*If you would like to hear the entire song, you can find it on www.youtube.com.   The video was posted by Dennis himself and includes a wonderful testimony about how this song came to be. 

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer,
    I have been part of a group of believers since about 1970 !!!! and through the ups and downs, highs and lows, scandals/healings, I have maintained some sort of relationship...we are down to now a Tuesday night group of 2-8 adults...it has always been my favorite teaching. Our leader/friend is now 84 and in excellent health because he practices what he teaches and confesses. BUt, I feel that the group may end and I have wondered what I will do...I know the Lord will guide me. My husband and I are members of our local UMC where he grew up and we attend, not so regularly. I am trying to learn hand bells and that will help make me more active???? SUre do hate to give up my "real teaching" though....hubby is just not interested in going ot another church that may be more spirit filled though...so, I too, am waiting on the Lord for direction...when needed!! Bless you in your new direction too.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. did I mention that Davis is my maiden name and I live in eastern NC...where did you live in NC??

    ReplyDelete